Lemon Syllabus with a Berry Compote
Posted on Thursday 16 May 2019 by Jojo
For The Compote
- 100g caster sugar
- 500g bag frozen summer fruits
- 2 tablespoons of arrowroot or cornflour
For The Syllabub
- 25g caster sugar
- 50ml of sweet white wine or sherry
- 30ml lemon juice
- 300ml double cream
- Almond wafer biscuits, to serve.
To make the compote:
Place the caster sugar and 300ml (1/2pt) water in a large pan.
Heat gently until the sugar dissolves, then add the frozen fruit. Simmer for 5-10 mins.
Blend the arrowroot with 30ml (2tbsp) water and stir into the fruit.
Simmer gently, stirring for 3-4 mins, until the fruit mixture thickens slightly.
- Leave to cool.
To make the syllabub:
Mix the sugar, wine/sherry and lemon juice in a jug and leave for 10 mins.
Pour the cream into a bowl and whisk until softly peaking.
Gradually whisk in the lemon and wine mixture.
Divide the compote between 4 serving glasses and top with the syllabub.
- Crumble a biscuit and sprinkle over the syllabubs. Serve with the rest of the biscuits.